"equipped to move forward on literacy instruction that
> focuses on deep comprehension" would imply that we are going to give the
> child the tools for comprehension. We've all seen kids who can "read" fast
> but cannot comprehend. Those children are prime for the explicit teaching of
> comprehension skills. The one thing our district did this year that I feel
> has made the biggest difference for all of the kids has been to teach
> comprehension skills explicitly. I don't see teaching comprehension skills
> explicitly (in isolation) as any different from teaching phonics skills
> explicitly. Any skill we teach needs to be reinforced and retaught in the
> guided reading lesson. Word sorts have become an important part of my
> instruction, and, while the patterns/sounds/concepts are initially taught in
> isolation, the skill is followed up in small group reading and in center time
> acivities. Students are so excited when they find words that fit the pattern
> we are studying and then they begin looking for more words to fit, and then
> begin finding words that are exceptions but may have the same sound or
> concept, but not the sme pattern. This may not necessarily be phonics but it
> helps students see the patterns that are everywhere in our language. When
> breaking words into parts (again, not necessarily phonics, but geared for the
> older students), they gain alot of comprehension when they are able to
> understand root words, prefixes and suffixes. Context and perspective can be
> greatly affected by the understaning of these things. Many of my students can
> read the word "walk" but get stuck with "walked", and understanding the past
> tense can make a big difference in comprehending the story. These kids don't
> even associate the two words as being related. They aren't able to take the
> word "walked" apart - they don't look at it and say "walk....ed", they may
> try to put the short /a/ sound in the middle and don't know where to go from
> there because it doesn't make sense to them, therefore, they are unable to
> comprehend.

The important thing to remember, in my opinion, is that most kids learn to read
(and that includes comprehending) without difficulties. I have been looking for
solutions for those few kids who don't and I think we have to be open to many
different approaches. Some will do well with phonics and others may just have
to learn to recognize many, many words because they are not able to decode
phonetically.

I will say that I have been surprised by the number of new to the profession
teachers who (through no fault of their own) do not understand the phonetic
structure of our language. They don't know how to decide if a c will be hard or
soft, they don't know how to determine the number of syllables by the number of
vowel sounds, etc. This deep understanding of our language makes it possible to
read difficult words and put meaning to them.

I will be watching our K-1 students who have been introduced to the Animated
Literacy program and report back here.
Debbie

Message -----