Hallo Martin,

Du schriebst am Thu, 14 Nov 2013 08:12:45 +0100:

> The range could default to the maximum of the bit size:
What an awkward syntax.
My suggestion: don't.

> I don't like it.

Thank you.

> Or with reserved words:

You would have to devise a way to do the calculations, and you might even
get forced to provide a way to request the actual values - how could you do
this if the values depend on some unspecified type?
Use something like "max (boolty)" or "min (l)"?

> I don't like it, especially the "smin" "smax". We can't write "-max to
> max" because Sieghard will read it. ;-)

That's _not_ a reason, a reason you cannot use "-max to max" is that signed
integers (using 2's complement representation as usual nowadays) don't have
a symmetric range: a 16-bit integer ranges fron -32768 to 32767, or in hex
notation -$8000 to $7FFF. It _will_ be necessary to define separate limits
for both ends of the range, if you want to be safe. Or you might rely on
the fact that the absolute value of the negative limit always is greater by
1 than the positive limit, i.e. "-(max+ 1) to max". Not neat, I think.