Tarragon M. Allen wrote:

> On 28/12/05 12:38 AM +0000 Nikki <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> So, I suggest that we:
>> 1. Update the country list to include all of ISO 3166-1
>> 2. Change the DB to allow 4 character country codes
>> 3. Include ISO 3166-3 [1]
>> 4. Add the EU [2]
>> 5. Add worldwide/international using one of the user-defined codes [3]
>

> On 9/1/06 11:18 AM -0500 Rod Begbie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> So you should be able to enter "Released in 1989 in uknown countries".
>> I think the "allowing unknown country or year" option is the fix for
>> this, rather than adding continents as a "best guess" of release
>> country.
>

> Ok, debate on this topic has quieted down.
>
> I don't think there's any objections to adding a "unknown" to the year
> and country fields for release dates, and I'd like this to go ahead.
>
> It seems roughly agreed that adding EU and other continents and
> regions is not a good idea.

Sorry I can't agree here - do we have an agreement at all? I'm still for
adding "Europe" and "unknown" to the year / country fields. Someone
asked what label I was talking to, or asked for any examples to work with:
Sony Music's sublabel Sony Computer Entertainment Europe ->
http://www.discogs.com/label/Sony+Computer+Entertainment+Europe <-
released in example the Wipeout PS2 Game & Soundtracks for *Europe*.
Another example is the DJ-Mixed album from Ken Ishii "Mix-Up Volume 3",
Sony Music Entertainment released a version for Japan -> Cat #: SRCS
8053 <- and one version for Europe -> Cat #: 486794 2 <- under their
sublabel Sony Techno (S3).
Other labels doing such as well: North South orgin from England released
in 1994 "The Third Chamber" from the group "Loop Guru", one version for
the UK -> Cat #: LOOPCD001 <- and a "Europe only" version -> Cat #:
GURU100CD <-.

Someone mentioned "Discogs" is a good resource to find out the release
country. That's true, cause a lot of the contributors are the artists
and/or the label owners. But I have also to mention how we do it at discogs:
Release country is in 99,9999% of all cases the country of the (Sub-)Label.
If Warp Records publish a new album - release country is U.K. - besides
it is mentioned somewhere that it is released for a special area only,
like the Warp Sampler: 1994, which was released only in Australia at
Autechre's tour there.

Sorry, if I missed something but I haven't read all the replies, cause
lack of time and not much at home.

*Schika
*