I'm glad that this is getting a bit of discussion. There is a lot that needs
to be clarified and documented.

Personally, I'll just state that my preference (and what I do when I edit)
is that the odd punctuation or capitalisation in the original tracklisting
is imperative as Artist Intent, but the transliterated entries can live
without them.

Setting the language to Japanese helps, but I think we need a new script
option, maybe something generalised that can be used for non-Japanese
artists too, like "Mixed Scripts". Choosing "Latin" may confuse new users
into using standard capitalisation while "Kanji/Kana" is inaccurate.

And there are many occasions where Japanese artists will use a mix of
kanji/kana and latin characters. Take the pillows album "My Foot", for
example.

http://musicbrainz.org/release/62e0fc24-3448-4b72-a5bf-75be81f46135.html

There's an album that uses standard capitalisation, unusual capitalisation,
kanji and kana all in the one tracklisting. The script style is listed as
"Kanji/Kana" though. Having a new "Mixed Scripts" script option will be more
accurate and will be less likely to throw new users. With an option like
that, they'll be more likely to enter tracks as they appear on the album
cover.

Actually, this leads me to a slight tangent. That same album I mentioned
before - My Foot.... On the back of the CD cover (I own it, am holding it in
my hands now, and it was actually purchased in Yokohama, Japan so there's no
chance it's a bootleg/pirated copy), all the tracks actually appear in
completely latin text - no kanji or kana. It does have the odd
capitalisation.

However, on the obi sleeve that usually comes with Japanese CDs, the
tracklisting is completely kanji and kana (the English titles were written
in romaji). Yet on the official website of the pillows, the tracklisting
appears as it does in that MB entry - in the mix of latin, kanji and kana.

So...

All latin (on the back of the CD)
All kanji and kana (on the CD's obi and inside the CD booklet)
A mix of kanji/kana and latin in other officially recognised places, like
the website

Which one of these should get put down as the original tracklisting? I
suppose this is something we'd need to sort out before we decide what to do
with the odd capitalisation. otherwise it may be a non-issue.

Magda

http://musicbrainz.org/release/2310c2a1-a723-488c-899d-eaf1c48c825f.html
> (although there's a track or two in romanji there too)

Usually when there is romanji, it's a transliterated tracklisting, which
should have status pseudo-release (and linked to the actual tracklisting
with the transliterated AR).  I did the linking for AURORA, but couldn't
find an original tracklisting for the Mind Game OST in MB currently.

I really don't care about capitalization issues on pseudo-releases,
they're obviously not how the artist intended, so following japanese
capitalization on the basis of artist intent seems very silly for those.

Perhaps a short note on transliteration/translation should be added to
the wiki page, with a link here:
http://wiki.musicbrainz.org/TranslationTransliterationRelationshipType

> In any case, it's a bit of a dodgy idea.  I should mention, I don't
> entirely agree with all that goes on, but I do think it's worthy of
> documentation.  And it's easier to talk about changes when everyone is
> clear what's already going on.

I agree, so let's get this documented, and afterward I'll be interested
in your objections ;)

> I think you raised good points about titling too, you should add that

http://wiki.musicbrainz.org/CapitalizationStandard/JapaneseArtistsException

Ok, will do.

-- kuno.

http://chidade.net