While recognizing the points in A and in B, I think both miss a few
points...

In either A or B, you also assume someone is setting all the possible ARs.
While some of us are really this obsessive (and I admit to being one such),
most ARs I see only have a few done.  So the same track on six releases
might have 3 with no ARs, one with a producer AR, one with some performer
ARs, and one with some more (and partially overlapping) performer and mixer
ARs.

B also assumes that any given track has the "earliest release of" AR created
to point it back to the earlier track.  We also know this isn't really the
case for 99.9999% (perhaps higher) of the database.

A has the negative of error-creep.  It also has the advantage of "multiple
eyes on multiple places".  The earliest release's liner may give very few
credits, while later releases include more info - this I find to often be
the case with, for example, classical and soundtracks (the latter
especially), where the initial release gives no performer info, while later
releases, positively identified as being the exact same release, give at
least some credits as to performers, rather than just basic composer info.
So, even if the info isn't fully present, between different releases of the
exact same track, we may gain better info on that track.

B has negatives too.  First, it does assume that the earliest track AR is
pointed to.  Second, as hinted at in Frederic's note, it assumes we really
do have the earliest release that all the ARs are being applied to.  If a
new earliest release is later found, a strict interpretation of B would mean
our then removing a bunch of perfectly good ARs, only to reapply them to the
(now) earliest track instance.

Personally, I would prefer not to codify any of this.  I would prefer to
instead spend some time discussing quite which release level ARs do or don't
inherit, as well as working to fill in the holes in our current AR system
(missing "libretto" AR for track-artist, missing "is the same track as"
track-track AR, etc).  I'd also prefer to spend some time discussing quite
what we define as being "the same track".

I'd prefer this, because hopefully soon, we will have "track masters" in the
system.  At that point, both A and B become irrelevant, as they as
essentially what is solved by track masters.  However, at that same point,
we will have to have the AR inheritance worked out, so we know what ARs
should or should not inherit from releases to tracks to track masters, as
well as from tracks to track masters.  We also will have to have a
definition of just what is "the same track" so we can know what tracks to
merge together to create track masters (where the master has more than just
a single instance).

At this later track master point, the only part of A or B I see which will
really have potential to cause headaches is where track 1 has an AR for one
person, and track 2 has the same AR for a different person.  But this too we
can handle - it may be that both are correct, and each track only was half
attributed, or it may be that one track had an incorrect AR.  But I see this
as a positive benefit of approach A - redundant info later being
cross-checked to later find potential errors in the redundancy.

Brian