2007/12/1, Brian Schweitzer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> While recognizing the points in A and in B, I think both miss a few
> points...
>
> In either A or B, you also assume someone is setting all the possible ARs.
> While some of us are really this obsessive (and I admit to being one such),
> most ARs I see only have a few done.  So the same track on six releases
> might have 3 with no ARs, one with a producer AR, one with some performer
> ARs, and one with some more (and partially overlapping) performer and mixer
> ARs.

I'm obviously speaking about the "obsessive-d" artists, on which a
given editor works out all ARs and tidy everything.

> B also assumes that any given track has the "earliest release of" AR created
> to point it back to the earlier track.  We also know this isn't really the
> case for 99.9999% (perhaps higher) of the database.

Again, I'm clearly speaking about the 0.0001% (your estimate) where
every track of the artist is tracked down to its earliest
point/version.

> A has the negative of error-creep.  It also has the advantage of "multiple
> eyes on multiple places".

Fair enough. Either way, I'm not going to ask casual editors to
actually spend five months studying an artist discography before
adding what they think fits

>  The earliest release's liner may give very few
> credits, while later releases include more info

Yes, definitely. And such info gets attached to the earliest release
of the track.

> - this I find to often be
> the case with, for example, classical and soundtracks (the latter
> especially), where the initial release gives no performer info, while later
> releases, positively identified as being the exact same release, give at
> least some credits as to performers, rather than just basic composer info.
> So, even if the info isn't fully present, between different releases of the
> exact same track, we may gain better info on that track.

Errrr... I'm definitely *not* saying "use only the info from the
earliest physical release", but "use every info you got, and add it to
the earliest entry in the db"

> B has negatives too.  First, it does assume that the earliest track AR is
> pointed to.

Again, I'm speaking only about these cases.

>  Second, as hinted at in Frederic's note, it assumes we really
> do have the earliest release that all the ARs are being applied to.  If a
> new earliest release is later found, a strict interpretation of B would mean
> our then removing a bunch of perfectly good ARs, only to reapply them to the
> (now) earliest track instance.

Yes, in this case, a number of ARs need to be changed.
Which is outweighted by the number of ARs that needs to be changed in
plan A for *any credit change*.

> Personally, I would prefer not to codify any of this.  I would prefer to
> instead spend some time discussing quite which release level ARs do or don't
> inherit, as well as working to fill in the holes in our current AR system
> (missing "libretto" AR for track-artist, missing "is the same track as"
> track-track AR, etc).  I'd also prefer to spend some time discussing quite
> what we define as being "the same track".

To me, the same track being reissued (identical) in another release.
What's blury there?

> I'd prefer this, because hopefully soon, we will have "track masters" in the
> system.  At that point, both A and B become irrelevant, as they as
> essentially what is solved by track masters.  However, at that same point,
> we will have to have the AR inheritance worked out, so we know what ARs
> should or should not inherit from releases to tracks to track masters, as
> well as from tracks to track masters.  We also will have to have a
> definition of just what is "the same track" so we can know what tracks to
> merge together to create track masters (where the master has more than just
> a single instance).

Again, I don't see what you find blury in the "same track" definition:
it's straightforward IMHO. Anything that is not the same track
(edited, remixed, etc), is not the same track :-)

> At this later track master point, the only part of A or B I see which will
> really have potential to cause headaches is where track 1 has an AR for one
> person, and track 2 has the same AR for a different person.  But this too we
> can handle - it may be that both are correct, and each track only was half
> attributed, or it may be that one track had an incorrect AR.  But I see this
> as a positive benefit of approach A - redundant info later being
> cross-checked to later find potential errors in the redundancy.

So, if you're suggesting no rule/resolution, and wait for track
masters, you're suggesting that (in the interim) everybody chooses
what please him most on the artists he is working on.

I guess that means now you are gonna change that no vote on my edits, right? :D

Cheers.

- Olivier