2007/12/3, Philipp Wolfer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> On Dec 3, 2007 10:50 AM, Olivier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Does that means you support Plan A.
> > If so, can you detail how to address its issues?
>
> I would curently prefer to treat every release separately and keep the
> ARs redundant. For the future I see two possible solutions for the
> redundancy problems:
>
> 1. Track masters: As soon as the same track is really the same entity
> on different releases there is no need anymore to worry about the
> redundancy as all ARs have to be added only once.*
> 2. Some automatic AR propagation as described on
> http://bugs.musicbrainz.org/ticket/3029
>
> Both solutions will keep the ARs available for every release and not
> only for the earliest release as it would be the case with Plan B. As
> long as we don't have the technical solutions I see no problem in
> keeping the ARs redundant. And I especially see no use in removing
> valid ARs!
>
> * If this get's implemented same ARs on previously different tracks
> will be merged. I think that's what Brian Schweitzer meant with "go
> away eventually"
>
> --
> Philipp Wolfer

I think this discussion to some extent drifted from its original
topic, or that I haven't formulated my question as I should have.

Say I'm onto working on a specific artist *exhaustively* (as much as I
can), planning to move everything I can to HighQuality, and setting
every needed data, MB-style.

What am I supposed to do?
Am I supposed to:
- (old plan A) manually propagate all ARs I set on the "earliest" to
their children
I think no one in the thread suggested that -  and as I pointed out,
this IMHO is absolutely impracticable

- (old plan B) remove (eventually incomplete) in-children ARs when I
link to an "earlier" that has all the proper credits

- "the third way": if I understood well it means essentially I can't
set HQ and I have to leave what's in place -> some children with
complete ARs, some others with partial/incomplete ARs, and some
without

So that third way means I'm left with a half-done job, half-backed
releases, no data consistency - which will probably disastisfy
everybody (specially me :-)).

Arguments about the future and how track masters will get in
definitely are interesting, but we still have *present* issues to sort
out, including the fact both practices (A & B) are currently done in
the database <- which I really think is bad, and which means: you have
one chance out of two of being voted yes/no depending on who votes on
your edits.

So... What should I do in the case I described?
And why would the "third way" be better when it seems to combine the
defects of both A & B without having any merit (or did I missed them?)

Regards

- Olivier