Hi, Alex / Caller #6:

caller#6 wrote:

> The Work Group thread [1] talked about a mechanism for over-riding
> global "parent" ARs with local "child" ARs.[2]
>
> [1]
> http://musicbrainz.1054305.n4.nabble.com/RFC-Concept-of-works-group-tp3535348p3535348.html
> [2] would that mean we'd need a "null value" available to over-ride an
> AR that doesn't apply to a "child"?

Thank you for the reference to this earlier discussion!  I'll add it to my
Background section.

Reading the thread now, it seems to reinforce for me the value of RFC-339,
to be clear about Partial Works Relationship Inheritance.

caller#6 wrote:

> Jim, would your proposal work the same way? Or would you simply not set
> a "parent" ARs unless it is true for all "children"?

RFC-339 doesn't propose to increase the expressive power of the MusicBrainz
data model, it just clarifies what applying certain Relationships to certain
Work entities means.  It does not propose a "null value" to override a
parent AR.

In the MusicBrainz data model today, and after RFC-339, you would (as you
say), simply not set
a "parent" ARs unless it is true for all "children".