>> I have set up IMAP gmail with Thunderbird and wondered about POP and
>> SMTP. Gmail has an odd way of handling IMAP which i'm not sure about.
>> Using as webmail Gmail has an Inbox, Sent and All Mail box - when
>> using Thunderbird in IMAP all incoming mail remains in the Inbox, then
>> has to be archived manually [by going back to webmail] to put it in
>> the All Mail box. Gmail is very clever with its conversations feature
>> and this is why it has this All Mail box i guess but i didn't find a
>> away of archiving the Inbox to All Mail
>
> I'm a bit confused about what you mean by "archiving the Inbox
> to All Mail".  If you're using IMAP and if you don't want to
> see an e-mail in the Inbox folder any more, then delete it.
>
> It'll still be there in the "All Mail" box.

I know it's a bit of a while back when we were on this post but i've
now seen what is intended [i think] with imap on a gmail account. I
understand what is meant by labels but couldn't see what one is
supposed to do with the inbox - google have bright ideas!!!

If using a mail client on POP the inbox is kept empty on the server as
it is archived to All Mail as soon as it is retrieved to the email
client. It seems to me that they intended similar logic when thought
of connection for IMAP. Yes the Inbox and Sent are labels but when one
goes to the Inbox filters entering "" in FROM and then selecting
ARCHIVE allows for immediate archiving of all incoming mail and no
manual deletion [or archiving]. Think that's what they intended - they
do seem to think of everything!

Perhaps everyone else has spotted that and i'm just thick!
james