On Mon 15 at 12:19 PM -0600, "s. keeling" <keel...@nucleus.com> wrote:

> . . . Why do you need to explicitly set editor=vim?  Or, are you just
> doing that to get the "+10" functionality?

That's correct.  Though I set up that macro quite awhile ago I think if
I could have made it more elegant, i.e., with fewer commands and *without*
explicitly setting

set editor='vim +10',

I would have. (Now watch someone come along and do just that.)

> Why use a macro for that?  Wouldn't it be better to stuff that into "set
> editor"?

No, I don't think so.  I want vim's cursor to be at line 10 -- below the
headers (when one has edit_headers set) and sitting directly on the first
line of text of the message I'm responding to, exactly where I want to
start editing -- only when I reply to a message.

Setting +10 in "set editor" would put the vim cursor at +10 when I initiate
a mail message as well, and I don't want it there when I initiate
a message.  (I want it on line 9.  And if I can save myself a single
keystroke with a macro, I'll do it.)

As it turns out, I haven't yet completely solved my problem.  The macro
I referenced a few messages back has had that extra ^M for a long, long time,
so I suspected when I removed it that maybe I shouldn't have, but I'll have
to delve more into that later.

--
The dandelion swayed in the gentle breeze like
an oscillating electric fan set on medium.