Obviously because I am new... that means in part I have no idea what I am
talking about. But partly it makes me a real expert in the NEW user
experience.

The thing is I develop/managed websites for a living and I too would regard
myself as 'above average' technically and I also have a strong sense of how
users work.

To be honest, I do feel for the MLO team. Given where they are, it will not
be easy to get to where they need to get to in order to get anything close
to adoption by the mainstream audience.

I am being extremely persistent here because I have a fairly short
time-window in which to get my entire life onto MLO... or give the heck up.

I am also being persistent because there is MUCH wrong with all the
competition that I have seen so far. But that won't last (see below).

What do I like about MLO?

Well, on the up-side, there is a plethora of hotkeys on MLO, many of which
you can configure yourself is great and it is dead-easy to whiz items
things up and down multi-level Project Trees and also it's also trivial to
switch items between being an action and being a Projects. [These aspects
are astonishingly rare in the obvious competing product that I have tried
but I LOVE them in MLO!] Moreover you can have something called a "Folder"
which is neither a Project nor an Action. It's a subject area. (Brilliant!
But again, v rare in other apps...).

On the down-side this has to be up there as being one of the hardest apps
to 'learn how to drive' that I have ever, EVER come across. [And that's
even after I have spent quite a lot of time reading up on GTD theory - and
after I have even listened to an entire 2-day seminar by David Allen!]

BUT I can't think of a single social or business friend who would put up
with this level of difficulty of learning that I have experienced with MLO.
Yes, some techies might well go for it... but any normal human being -
Absolutely no chance!

And it's no use saying "but it's very powerful and configurable". Life is
short. We are aren't here for the fun of using your software... Ultimately
we are only using these tools in order to *save* us time!

[Aside: MLO reminds me of the PC database software dBase clone called
Clipper - anyone here old enough to remember that? It was indeed incredibly
powerful and configurable but the learning curve to get anything useful out
of it was about 3 months. Management were NOT happy. And commercially it
simply *died* as hugely powerful and highly configurable as it was.]

Now, after all the work the you good people at MLO have put into this your
extremely powerful tool, this is bad news indeed.

If you want a 'quick win' you could regain a lot of usability points at a
stroke simply by doing a couple of explainer videos. A quick short high
level one for total newbies *selling* the whole concept (max 1-2 mins) and
a more detailed one for the converts telling us *how to use* the system
(8-12 mins). And then if you get a chance do another 5 or 10 and slap them
onto YouTube. And do them in English.

Having built this video the next thing you need to do is 'Primary Customer
Research' - newbie *user trials *! What you need is need about 8-10 users
who are not particularly technical sit them down in front of the software
and WATCH. Get them to talk their thoughts out loud. Video them.

Then show them the video and watch again. You will be appalled, I promise
you.

Honestly, you chaps have built a fantastic engine. But if you want to
appeal to *Mainstream* users (rather than *Early Adopters*) then frankly
you people need to stop all developments until you have done both of the
above.

To get clear Early Adopters have a very different psychology from
Mainstream users. Early Adopters like to be the first. They are generally
pretty clever. They like learning news stuff. They tolerate complexity,
mistakes, errors and even bugs to a significant extent.

BUT there aren't all that many of them. And if your product appears to be
going nowhere and is not longer "cutting edge", then they will feel like
idiots for wasting their time with you and they are off!

MAINSTREAM users are different. They value their time very highly. They
just want to get the job done. And fast. They do NOT want to waste any more
time than necessary learning stuff. So they want everything to be easy to
learn and obvious. They like simplicity. They HATE complexity. They want to
get the job done and they want everything to work.

Frankly as things stand, MLO is a total nightmare for Mainstream users. But
don't just take my/Joel's word for it. Do some serious trials with newbie
users! Try some less intelligent / 'ditsy' and/or 'arty' new users. Even
try some slightly drunk or extremely tired users. You need a random
spectrum of users to trail. They will run screaming I guarantee you.

[Aside: Another top top - if you are short of time &/or money and want to
do a 'quick and dirty'/'better than nothing' user trial, then consider
using Feedback Army and asking the reviewers to so something specific. The
clever thing is that you can keep rejecting their responses until you are
happy with the level of work that they have done. Brilliant! But actually
you at MLO also need to do proper face-to-face user trials I suspect as
well]

If you want further proof of what I am saying take the number of really
important keyboard shortcuts that are completely missing from your official
Keyboard Shortcuts page. e.g.

Control/PgUp  ==> to change tab
Control/PgDn  ==> to change tab
Control/Enter   ==> to parse the title of an item
Control/Shift/Insert ==> to add a new folder
Control/Shift/S ==> to add a star
Control/M ==> to move a task

...} all missing !     (er I think...!)

If you had done in depth user trials then surely this would have been
picked up.

One word of caution. Beware of *some* of your most loyal customers. There
is no subtext to this - I am not having a go anyone whatsoever. But it's an
established fact that in order to appeal to *Mainstream* customers you will
almost certainly get terrible advice from some of your customers. But they
are dangerous. They are far too close to your product to see it through the
eyes of anyone else. And over time they can bankrupt you.

Finally you need to know that much though I am trying to help MLO in what
probably seems like a whirlwind of input, please know that I am not happy.
And I have been keeping a list of competing software in case I find that I
genuinely can not get MLO to work for me (This is still not clear either
way...!) . And believe me there is a LOT of competition. My spreadsheet for
this purpose has well over 100 competitors !

For completeness here they are:
2Do
5PM
Achieve Planner
ActionComplete
Action Method
ActiveInBox
Ajour
Apigio
Asana
Assembla Tickets
Astrid List/Task Manager
Blue Smiley Organizer
Bonsai
Bontq
Central Desktop
Clear (Realmac Software)
ClearContext
Conqu
d-cubed
DoIt.im
Do It Tomorrow
do-Organizer
DropTask
Due Today
EasyTask Manager
eProductivity
EssentialPIM Pro
EverNote (+The Secret Weapon)
FacileThings
Facio Tasks
Feng Office
Flashpoint
Flow
Frictionless
GeeTeeDee
germ.io
Get Stuff Done
Getitdoneapp
Ghost Action
Gmail Tasks
GoalsOnTrack
Google Tasks
GTD TiddlyWiki Plus
GTDAgenda
GTDFree
GTDNext
gtd-php
Harmony PIM
HiTask
iGTD
IQTell
Jello Dashboard
KOI
KonoLive
Lifeballanced
LifeTopix
LiquidPlanner
Lists Manager?
MasterList Professional
mGSD
MindManager
MindOnTrack
MyLifeOrganized
Nach
Nepture
Next Action, Personal Ed
Nexty
Nirvana
Nitro
Nozbe
Omnifocus
OneNote
OnePlace
Online Task List
Oprius
Organitask
Org-Mode
Outlook 2010
Papirus
Pimki
Plancake
PocketInformant
Priacta
Producteev
propelr
Psoda
Redmill
Relenta
Remember The Milk (RTM)
RexDesktop
SimpleNote
SandGlaz
Smart To-Do List
SmartSheet
Smartytask
Smthngs
Task Coach
Task Toy
TaskFreak
TaskPad.jp
Tasks/Tasks Pro
TaskStep
TaskTask (iOS only?)
TaskUnifier
Taskwarrior
Tasque
The Now Organiser
Things (iOS only?) (by Cultured Code)
ThinkingRock
Thymer
TickTick
TiDy
TimeGT
TimeManagementNinja.com
Timetpnote
Tjeklist
ToDo
To-Do DeskList
ToDo.txt
ToDo Exchange
ToDo Matrix
Todo Pro
ToDoIst
ToDoList
ToDoMoo
Toodledo
TomBoy
TouchDown w Exchange Tasks
TaskUnifier
Tracks
Tracks.tra.in
Treedolist
Ultimate ToDo
Upvise
VIP Task Manager
VitalList
Voo2doo
What To Do
WhatsNext (not ready?)
Week Plan
Wieldy
Workflowy
Wunderlist
Zendone
Zoho CRM
Zoot

OK many of they above may not be *direct* competitors, (e.g. many don't run
on Windows and many are more list managers than GTD tools as such ) but I
promise you that as a normal/average user, this is the number of tools we
have to wade through on-line, competing with your listings.

Why are there quite so many competitors? Because they all think that the
existing market leaders aren't doing a good enough job!  They are trying to
steal your lunch and there are a LOT of them out there.

Conclusion:
You have SERIOUS competition and you need to raise your game. You need
dramatically improved usability.

Finally:
Please don't think I'm saying you need to work harder. Nor write better
code. What I'm saying is you need to work differently. VERY differently.

P.S. If anyone from MLO is still reading and appreciating my input please
let me know.

Alternatively, if I am simply wasting my breath please do let me know too!

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/mylifeorganized/CAEN65Jb4Kkc3Ogq9C0ZHZXDZ1Gp02Yr7uOFR7aQAoBsBHr%3DHbA%40mail.gmail.com.