On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 7:00 AM, alba.albetti <alba.albe...@libero.it> wrote:
> Browsing the Web I've seen that usually companies look for developers working
> on MySQL and Php. Why are the two things linked? I mean I've not found any
> requests for just a MySQL developer or DBA (as for example it happens for
> Oracle), but it's always requested a MySQL/Php expert.
> I ask for it 'cause I've always been a developer/DBA on RDBMS (Oracle and
> DB2) and as I've been learning MySQL for few weeks, I'd like to know whether
> and why it's so important to learn Php as well. It would be so difficult to
> find a job as MySQL developer/DBA without knowing Php as well.
> Thanks!

There are numerous good reasons why there is this correlation. I would
like to propose one that has not been mentioned. PHP is a mess. For
several years PHP put food on my table and I respect it for what it
is, but it really is a mess. Whether it is inconsistencies in function
parameters or looseness in how it deal with data that does not quite
fit, it is a mess.

I think MySQL is historically similar. Both are very weakly typed and
can produce surprises because of it. Both seem like they are designed
for quick productivity.

It seems like PostgreSQL has significant mindshare amongst Perl and C++ users...

--
Rob Wultsch
wult...@gmail.com