[snip]
I merely wished to dispel the common, newb impression that PHP is the
only realistic choice.
[/snip]

I don't think that is the impression but I think that the low barrier to
entry and extensive support community make PHP a widely acceptable
choice. I have seen many a newb turned off by the communities
surrounding other languages (I have seen it in PHP too) but by and large
the PHP community is pretty accepting and willing to teach young
programmers how to fish.

You always have to use the right tool for the job though. The question
is "are we teaching the inexperienced programmers what the right tools
are?