Yeah, I took a bit of offense to that original statement too.

I work for Panasonic Avionics, and we have no less than 12 servers here
running LAMP boxes in my department alone. They are in master/slave pairs.
We have almost 100GB of data with about 1 BILLION rows. Everytime an
aircraft lands, we get an offload about the (IFE) In Flight Entertainment
system. What movies are watched, for how long, what games were played, what
level reached, did the system reboot, was it commanded to reboot, all sorts
of things. We get about an offload per minute or so 24/7. These servers are
reliable and the SaaS we sell along with the IFE costs MILLIONS of dollars
per airline. The GUI is all PHP with some Python as the backend to parse
the offloads. We run Ubuntu 8.04LTS.

When I founded WildTangent, everything there was LAMP boxes. All the games
checked into a LAMP server. All the backend tools we created were LAMP.
They switched to IIS I believe a few years ago because I can only assume
that Alex St. John (the creator of DirectX) is a Microsoft guy, and our
game technology is based upon Microsoft tech, so it probably didn't look so
good to be running Linux for them. ;-)

At Lockdown Networks, we sold $50k rack mount units that were all LAMP
based with Ruby backends. These units secured many of the worlds networks
from banks to nuclear reactors to colleges to government/military agencies.

In all cases, we could have spent thousands to millions on Oracle servers
or used the free alternatives like Postgress. We researched and CHOSE to
use mySQL -- even paying the licensing fees at Lockdown over porting to
Postgress (which we seriously looked into)

So, I think someone needs to recognize that mySQL and PHP are extremely
powerful and robust tools and are used in VERY ambitious projects. ;-)

http://daevid.com

There are only 11 types of people in this world. Those that think binary
jokes are funny, those that don't, and those that don't know binary.