Boget, Chris writes:
> Good morning.
> Recently, we presented MySQL as a database option for a website that
> we might be working on.  We've used it as our database in the past and
> we plan on using it in the future as possible.
> With that said, I confess I don't have as intimate a knowledge of mySQL
> to address some of the things in the email that was sent to me.  I'd like
> to hear what some of you have to say/think about this.  I know some
> of the things said below aren't entirely correct, but I'm not 100% sure
> about some of the others.
>
> --Begin Quote--
>
> MySQL - as I said at our meeting, we would not be comfortable with this
> as an enterprise strength solution. MySQL is unsupported freeware and
> lacks enterprise management functionality. It has a small limited feature
> set compared to ORACLE, DB/2 and is lacking the functionality to support
> data replication and has little capability for generating management info.
> There are question marks around the scalability of the product, I'm not
> sure of the locking algorithms used (whether row level or record level) -
> the
> fact that it is not generally used in multi-user solutions is a good enough
> indication that this is not accepted database technology for
> industrial-strength
> multi-user systems.
> The fact that it is unsupported freeware would mean that an end user would
> potentially be "held to ransom" by a DBA with specific knowledge. The mySQL
> security model is also not sufficiently developed for any system that
> involves
> money.
> I would not be prepared to sign-off any solution containing mySQL.
>
> --End Quote--
>
> I'd love to get your input.
>
> Thank you for your time and your knowledge.
>
> Chris

Chris,

The above text between Begin and End Quote is full of ignorance.

MySQL has full replication, transactions, multi-versioning, row level
locking (two last ones with InnoDB table handler), and it is scaling
extremely well. It is powering some of the sites which are very
heavily hit, lke Slashdot, Yahoo, and many, many others. Many large
companies like IBM, Siemens etc are utilising MySQL. It is also
powering some Stock Exchange's. Visit our site and find out more about
our references and capabilities.

There are many tools available for MySQL, either from us or from third
parties. As MySQL is supporting ODBC, JDBC etc, you can use any of the
tools utilising those protocols.

Beside this, we take pride in providing the best commercial support
for any RDBMS. Period. Visit https://order.mysql.com for more
details.

--
Regards,