This didn't seem to make it to the list the first time so let's try again.  BTW is
anybody else receiving each mail twice from
the list?

I am getting the same error message "configure: error: cannot run test program while
cross compiling".  I think this a simple
PATH issue where basic functions such as sprintf are not found.  I was able to compile
mysql on solaris 7 without any problems
but having trouble compiling ANYTHING on solaris 8 therefore it doesn't look like a
mysql issue. Everything seems to fail with
basic C functions not being found.

I tried various things to solve this with no avail:

1 moving the path to gcc in front of /usr/ccs/bin thinking it may be a conflict
between the two compilers.

2 set LD_LIBRARY_PATH to various things.

3 make LD_LIBRARY_PATH part of PATH in hopes it would help configure find what it's
looking for.

I'm doing this on a new Netra X1 box with the pre installed Solaris 8 version on top
of which I installed
gcc-2.95.3-sol8-sparc-local and make-3.79.1-sol8-sparc-local builds.  I'm thinking of
compiling gcc with the native compiler
but I don't know where to tell configure which compiler to use (I attempted this by
trying to change $PATH) and I don't want
to uninstall the native one before I have success with gcc.

The development packages installed are: SUNWarc SUNWbtool SUNWhea SUNWsprot SUNWlibm.
Is something missing here?

It would be helpful to hear from someone who has successfully compiled on solaris8 or
how to modify configure.

Sorry about the lengthy post but I wanted to include all pertinent info.
I'm cross posting this to both mysql lists to reach a wider audience.
Thanks in advance.

George

P.S. The solaris8 build of mysql works fine.

Robert Alexander wrote:

> http://www.mysql.com/doc/S/o/Solaris.html
>
> Why not just download the binary from the MySQL site?  http://www.mysql.com
>
> HTH,
>
> /Rob
>
> At 06:03 -0800 2001/11/14, Geoff Reed wrote:
> >I've been banging my head against the wall for 2 days over this :(  I have the
>3.23.40 source and i'm trying to get it to compile.
> >
> > I'm running Sun Solaris 8 Sparc on a Ultra 1-170E with 128 MB ram and ~ 27 gig HD
>space.
> >
> > GCC 2.95.3, freshly compiled and functioning well.
> >
> > the ./configure script gets to ...
> >checking return type of sprintf        configure: error: cannot run test program
>while cross compiling
> >
> > pouf - that's all she wrote - :(
> >
> > I'd like to compile a fresh install since the binary distro available on mysql.org
>does not have all the directories it is supposed to...  after moving a handful
of things around i was finally able to get it to work....

> --
> Robert Alexander, Alpha Geek, Workmate.ca
> WWW Database Applications and Web Hosting
> http://www.workmate.ca       416-823-6599
> mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> "Life's unfair - but root password helps!"

George Horvath
Scotia Capital Markets
ISS - Technology Application Group
Tel: 416-945-4204