Well, this changes things (in my mind, anyway).  Now that we know it can
be done, the likely explanation is that something is wrong with the gcc
installation for people who report this.  It's strange though, since a few
people who've reported this have claimed to be able to successfully build
other programs with the same gcc.  Perhaps the problem lies in the command
line they've used to invoke configure...

In any case, the error meesage from configure is misleading and
unhelpful.  It is hard to imagine any way to install sunfreeware's
pre-compiled gcc that would turn it into a cross-compiler.  Certainly, the
test you show here could not show more than whether or not the compiler
works.  Perhaps the next release of mysql could have a better error
message from configure.

Michael