Michael Widenius wrote:

> Hi!

> <cut>
>
> Michael>   * everyone who has reported this was using the precompiled binary of gcc
> Michael>   (either 2.95.2 or 2.95.3) from Sunfreeware to build MySQL for Solaris 8
> Michael>   sparc.
>
> Michael>   * No one has spoken up to report success with this combination.
>
> Michael>   * No one who built gcc from source has reported this problem.
>
> Michael> Unless a new piece of information comes in, it seems clear to me that
> Michael> configure doesn't like sunfreeware's pre-compiled copy of gcc for Solaris
> Michael> 8 sparc.  It would be nice if someone from MySQL would tell us just what
> Michael> configure is doing when it declares sunfreeware's gcc a cross-compiler,
> Michael> and could confirm whether this is a configure problem or a gcc problem.
>
> I have now added a note about this in our online manual.
> (Sorry, I thought we already had done this).
>
> The bottom line seems to be that one should not use the gcc compiler
> from sunfreeware but instead use the SFW version of gcc that comes
> with Solaris 2.8 or download the gcc source and compile it.
>
> The reason configure declares sunfreeware a cross compiler is that
> gcc succeed in compiling a simple test program but the program would
> not run. Based on this configure concludes that the compiler doesn't
> generate a working binary for this architecture and must thus be a
> cross compiler to another architecture.

Ok, I followed your advice and removed the soaris built gcc from sunfreeware and
downloaded the source instead.  How ever now
I am getting this message when I try to compile gcc:

# /usr/local/gcc-2.95.3/configure --prefix=/usr/local/gnu
Configuring for a sparc-sun-solaris2.8 host.
Created "Makefile" in /usr/local/objdir using "mh-frag"
/usr/ucb/cc:  language optional software package not installed
*** The command '/usr/ucb/cc -o conftest -g   conftest.c' failed.
*** You must set the environment variable CC to a working compiler.

How do I find out what package am I missing?  Can someone point to a site with a good
solaris 8 build of gcc I can use instead
of sunfreeware.  I really prefer not to spend time on debugging the Sun compiler.
Unless of course it's just a simple
addition of a package.

Thanks,
George