Hi!

<cut>

Michael>   * everyone who has reported this was using the precompiled binary of gcc
Michael>   (either 2.95.2 or 2.95.3) from Sunfreeware to build MySQL for Solaris 8
Michael>   sparc.

Michael>   * No one has spoken up to report success with this combination.

Michael>   * No one who built gcc from source has reported this problem.

Michael> Unless a new piece of information comes in, it seems clear to me that
Michael> configure doesn't like sunfreeware's pre-compiled copy of gcc for Solaris
Michael> 8 sparc.  It would be nice if someone from MySQL would tell us just what
Michael> configure is doing when it declares sunfreeware's gcc a cross-compiler,
Michael> and could confirm whether this is a configure problem or a gcc problem.

I have now added a note about this in our online manual.
(Sorry, I thought we already had done this).

The bottom line seems to be that one should not use the gcc compiler
from sunfreeware but instead use the SFW version of gcc that comes
with Solaris 2.8 or download the gcc source and compile it.

The reason configure declares sunfreeware a cross compiler is that
gcc succeed in compiling a simple test program but the program would
not run. Based on this configure concludes that the compiler doesn't
generate a working binary for this architecture and must thus be a
cross compiler to another architecture.

Regards,
Monty

--