On 30-Nov-01, Ravi Raman said something totally profound about RE: compile problems on
Solaris8 that made me ponder...

RR> It's been a while since I tried to compile mysql on a Solaris box, but
RR> that error most like likely indicates a compiler-related issue...I don't
RR> know how much help I can be with this, but one thing missing from your
RR> earlier post is what arguments (if any) you passed to ./configure. I'd be
RR> interested to see those if you could post them.
RR>
RR> I was just about to hit send, when I got curious and found something: This
RR> page (http://www.mysql.com/doc/S/o/Solaris.html) says to add a line to
RR> your config.cache, and also has recommended configure arguments.

I've got a solid mini-HOWTO on compiling MySQL on Solaris.

< http://users.talstar.com/forager/MySQL-HOWTO.html >

This is what we use internally.  I have successfully compiled and installed
MySQL on Solaris 2.4, 2.5.1, 2.6, 7, and 8.

Normally, I get my packages from SunFreeware.  As of 07/01, the Solaris 8
Companion CD comes with the latest versions of bison and flex, as well as gcc
2.95.3.  Most programs I compile will not compile with gcc3.0.x from
SunFreeware.

You should have, at least, bison, flex, and gcc installed.  I also recommend
using tcp-wrappers.  Package v7.6 is included in the companion CD, but I
haven't tried them.  I used the source to compile two versions: auth and
non-auth.

Your PATH should be at least:
/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/xpg4/bin:/usr/ccs/bin

If you use any of the companion CD packages, you should have /opt/sfw/bin
directly after /usr/local/bin.

That should be enough to get you going.  I have tested this time and time
again and various right-off-the-CD Solaris installations.

Don't forget to check the MySQl on-line documentation for performance
information.  Could save you a few headaches on slower boxes (I have MySQL
running on a 40MHz Sparc with Solaris 7.)  Now if I can just port this over to
Amiga :)
--
       Alan W. Rateliff, II        :     YourVillage.com
  Assistant Systems Administrator  :   2700 Apalachee Pkwy