On Thu, May 20, 2004 at 05:45:58PM -0400, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Another perspective on the subject of BLOB vs. Links.
>
> Links are easier to implement and may be an OK way to start. However, a file system
> is really a crude database, and I emphasize "crude". It's not very good at handling
> high transaction rates, access from multiple machines, or volume.
>
> If your application grows quickly and before you know it you have hundreds of
> folders with thousands of files in each - your file system will slow to a crawl. All
> the performance, security, and consistancy features developers have worked so hard
> to put into database engines don't or barely exist in file systems.
>
> So - if you go the link approach - you'll be fine for a while, but when you see the
> directory structure starting to buckle - it might be time to give BLOBs another look.

I'm going to be honest, sorry. Your argument seems to make sense and
this information is really relevant for me -- thanks. I, however, just
get this fuzzy feeling inside that tells me not to trust anything
technical any AOL user may say. Sorry again, but this time for making it
seem like a troll. It's not, seriously, I'm just being honest.

Can anyone non-AOL-lite back up Udikarni's argument? 8)

        Luis
--
GnuPG Key fingerprint = 113F B290 C6D2 0251 4D84  A34A 6ADD 4937 E20A 525E