Some time ago, I posted a question about using HTML in
MySQL tables. For example, if I put the following in a
table cell...

<em>Cowboy State</em> (reinforced by logo depicting
cowboy on bucking bronco), <em>Big Wyoming</em>

It will be displayed as...

Cowboy State (reinforced by logo depicting cowboy on
bucking bronco), Big Wyoming

except that Cowboy State and Big Wyoming will be
italicized.

Someone suggested this is a bad strategy, asking what
I would do if I later decided to change the italicized
words to bold, for example.

So what are the options? Is there a way to "tag" words
so that you can later make them italicized, bold, red
or blue, etc.?

And isn't there a way to render code invisible when
displaying MySQL tables? For example, if you don't
want the italicized words to appear italicized,
couldn't you write some code that would instruct your
browser to ignore <em> tags?

Along similar lines, could you write code that would
convert <em> to <b>?

I'm just trying to figure out what the options are, as
well as determining the best option. One way or
another, I would like to tag certain key words and
phrases. I'm assuming that once you do that, you can
probably manipulate the "tags" with PHP in many
different ways.