What I was saying was - everything slows down when it gets bigger. However, a lot of
work has been put into database engines to keep them going fast even when they get
big, whereas file systems slow down considerably when they get bigger.

It's not the storing of the link that's the issue. That's the easy part. It's the
placing of the image file in a folder on a file system, or deleting it, or renaming
it, that will slow down as the file system grows.

For example - when systems grow busier - you get more and more situations where
multiple people want to access the same image at the same moment. Databases have all
kinds of mechanisms to regulate this. A file system may choke.

Another example - when you move an image from one folder to another - you'll have to
manually update its link. On a database - if an index is pointing to a BLOB and you
move the BLOB around - the index will follow it around and continue to point to it.

Again - a file system will be fine with a handful of users of a few thousand images.
You won't notice anything. But, if and when the activity level rises you'll see it
running into problems more and more.

Hope this helps.