--- [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> What I was saying was - everything slows down when
> it gets bigger. However, a lot of work has been put
> into database engines to keep them going fast even
> when they get big, whereas file systems slow down
> considerably when they get bigger.
>
> It's not the storing of the link that's the issue.
> That's the easy part. It's the placing of the image
> file in a folder on a file system, or deleting it,
> or renaming it, that will slow down as the file
> system grows.
>
> For example - when systems grow busier - you get
> more and more situations where multiple people want
> to access the same image at the same moment.
> Databases have all kinds of mechanisms to regulate
> this. A file system may choke.
>
> Another example - when you move an image from one
> folder to another - you'll have to manually update
> its link. On a database - if an index is pointing to
> a BLOB and you move the BLOB around - the index will
> follow it around and continue to point to it.
>
> Again - a file system will be fine with a handful of
> users of a few thousand images. You won't notice
> anything. But, if and when the activity level rises
> you'll see it running into problems more and more.
>
> Hope this helps.

Yes, that's a very good tip; it's something that more
novices should be aware of. I have over a dozen
websites and hundreds (maybe thousands) of images. I'm
already brainstorming ways of improving my sites by
using BLOB's.

Unfortunately, it will probably be a few more days
before I find time to really study BLOB's, as I'm
still working on the basics. There's so much to learn,
but it's all worth it!

Thanks.