On May 21, 2004, at 9:14 PM, David Blomstrom wrote:
--- Hassan Schroeder <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
"If "Cowboy State" has a semantic meaning, like
"nickname", you might want to think about either
having a field for it or, if it's part of a text
segment that doesn't lend itself to that, use a
semantic tag for it, like `<nickname>Cowboy
State</nickname>, (reinforced ... and then, for
display purposes, transform that XML
using XSLT into your appropriate output."

You mean I can make up a name for a "semantic tag,"
designating every nicknname <nickname> or every
emphasized word <emphasize>, for example?

And is this something that can only be done with XML?
I do recall reading that XML is a very flexible
language that lets you create your own codes, styles,
etc. Am I correct in guessing that the pros prefer XML
to HTML or XHTML when working with MySQL?

If so, that's another thing for me to learn. I've
found XHTML pretty simple, but XML looks a little more
complex.

What you want to look into is CSS. If you're already working XHTML, then that's great. It's a cleaner, more straightforward, back the intent of HTML before the browser wars polluted it. Use CSS to define how things appear. Honestly, it takes a while to "get." Not the syntax and such (generally easy), but more the methods in how to best apply it. Most CSS refc I have found deal with the mechanics of it. It's hard to find a good refc on how to apply. I recommend the book "Eric Meyer on CSS" -- it's about practical application. You'll need a companion guide for syntax reference.

So, you'd (potentially) end up with:

It's very easy to initially want to do
and that's pretty typically for everyone's first CSS era, but try to get past that level quickly. I finally hit what I call my third era in CSS this past year, and man, does it make web design so much better.

Anyway, quite off topic, so, if you have some questions, hit me up offline.

-- greg willits