I'm sorry to be a bit contrarian here, but...

Looking at the crowd that assembles for the peering BOF, it's clearly one
of the more popular things on the NANOG program.  It may not draw the raw
numbers of people that the general session does, but it does tend to pack
whatever room it's in.  People in the room tend to be attentive and
engaged, whether or not they have anything to do with peering.  It's a lot
of fun, and it's clear to me that enough attendees want it on the program
for it to be worthwhile.

That said, while the latest one struck me as a vast improvement over the
last few, I can't say I've actually learned much from most of the recent
peering BOFs or from the last few exchange point operator forums I've been
to.  The agendas tend to strike me as entertaining but recycled filler,
perhaps useful for getting people into a room and talking, but not nearly
what they could be.

When I think back to the peering BOFs and exchange operator-sponsored
forums of several years ago, I used to come out of them with some better
understanding of how peering worked.  There were talks on things like how
much of peering traffic was P2P back when that was new and scary.  Large
parts of the program were made up of "peering personals," where I would
learn who was looking for what sort of peers.  In addition, there were
exchange operator-sponsored forums, in which people would give talks about
peering-related issues they had faced and how they had solved them,
observations about how peering worked in other parts of the world, views
into highly secretive "tier 1" peering operations, and the like.

The exchange operator-sponsored forums are now gone, having been replaced
by parties where the content consists of fake game shows.  The peering BOF
content now consists of things like the "great debates," which while it's
entertaining to to see people trying to justify extreme positions, never
feel to me like they get anywhere close to establishing what the right
answer to the question being debated -- presumably somewhere between the
two extremes -- would be.

So, I wouldn't suggest that the current peering BOF or exchange
operator-sponsored forums go away.  They're good fun social events and
NANOG could often use more of those.  But I don't think we've run out of
new things to say, or new issues to address, in the areas of peering and
other forms of interconnection.  It would be nice if there were some more
serious forums as well.

(And yes, I know, this counts as sniping from the sidelines.  The big
impediment to what I'm asking for here is presumably having somebody step
up and organize it).

-Steve