On 2/24/08, Richard A Steenbergen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 09:28:06AM +1000, Philip Smith wrote:
> > Richard A Steenbergen said the following on 25/2/08 08:21:
> > >
> > > Making a special exemption for Bill
> > >Norton (a member of the SC, which elects the PC) could easily give the
> > >impression of undue favoritism to the outside world, and defeat all of
> the
> > >work that has been put into providing openness and transparency into
> the
> > >process.
> >
> > Just a small comment. Bill's service to the community as an SC member
> > completed in October last year.
>

> Ah, indeed, I should be paying more attention to these things. :P At any
> rate the point remains basically the same, we shouldn't be creating
> exemptions which look like favoritism.
>
> Also note that I mean absolutely no disrespect to Bill's contributions to
> both the SC and the Peering BOF throughout the years. He has done an
> excellent job on all fronts, and is a valued contributor to the NANOG
> community, but I don't think that means we should be making special
> exemptions to the normal PC process for him or anyone else. My comments
> were about fairness and transparency in the process, not saying that Bill
> shouldn't continue to be involved with the Peering BOF or any other
> peering events. If that sentiment is in any way associated the previously
> mentioned "rumors" that there won't be a peering BOF or that Bill won't be
> involved, I would call that a misinterpretation.

I don't think this is an exception or favoritism. The fact remains that the
peering bof in the format bill has been running it, is one of the most
useful things I've seen at nanog and is a prime motivator to go. If it is
not broken, I am not sure what exactly are you looking to fix.

/vijay

My personal opinions at any rate.