> For the sake of discussion, let's come up with some semblance
> of boundaries so we know whether we'll get scolded for
> leading a guided tour or not.  If someone's rude, we can
> handle that separately.

One strategy that works well is to make a habit of
leading a guided tour and just ignore those who scold
you. Basically, if you don't have the time to write
a proper guided tour reply, complete with tested and
working URLs, then don't bother answering the question.

For an example of a good way to reply to seemingly naïve
beginner questions, look at what Paul Vixie wrote.

There was a time when NANOG was part of an activity which
was spreading the good news of the Internet to the whole
world, and educating people in other countries how to
implement Internet technology in their own environment.
That NANOG didn't sneer at small networks, rather it helped
the small operators implement their networks using best practices
so that their networks ran smoothly and they had a chance at
scaling up relatively smoothly.

Funny thing is that if you read the first sentence in section 3 (Mission)
of the NANOG charter, it seems to include that goal.

   The purpose of NANOG is to provide forums in the North
   American region for education and the sharing of knowledge
   for the Internet operations community.

--Michael Dillon

P.S. does everyone here still read "Internet" as "global public network"
or has the popular meaning shifted to "American public network"?