On Mar 20, 2008, at 8:21 PM, Randy Bush wrote:
> Michael Smith wrote:
>> how about we all agree to politely sent the new member to
>> http://www.nanog.org/listfaq.html when it's obvious they are asking
>> questions that could be better answered elsewhere?
>
> i hope all my competitors treat their new customers that way.
>
> how about
>  o if it is at all ops related, and you know the answer, answer it
>  o and, iff you have answered it, and know of where better help in
>    the subject area is available, politely point?
>
> as one kind soul actually did
>
> randy

Randy, you are on the FreeBSD lists and you see the same "where do I
go to get an answer to..." message that I do when comes out every
month.  Why not have the same thing for NANOG, but have it be on the
FAQ page, or some other NANOG-hosted page if not the FAQ?  I
appreciate that you feel the royal "we" are most equipped to answer
all questions about all manner of things, but there are better
resources out there for some of these questions and it would be in all
our best interests to refer people to those expert resources.

I think we're saying the same thing; I'm advising we expand the FAQ to
include off-NANOG resources that will be helpful to the new folks,
rather than having 50 people refer someone to the same outside
resource.  I'd much prefer that to the repetitive Descartian "who/what
are we" debates that arise every time we someone asks a simple
question about how to configure their device.

Mike