On 2/4/12 3:17 PM, Cobra007 wrote:
You did tick almost all the boxes, but there are 3 items in your list
that I do not really agree on (plus 1 question) :

* Easy to set time
I do not know how much interest you have in watches but it is the only
watch that I know of that you need to open up to change the time. Even
the most extreme divers watches can set the time without opening up. I
know of just 1 watch that has a more unusual way to set the time which
is the Bulova Accutron 214, the adjustment knob is at the bottom of
the watch. They quickly changed that in the next 218 series because
people complained that it was not easy.

Curious statement, as the Accutron 214 was introduced in 1960, yet my 1967 model has the original rear time setting knob. Seven years is not quick.

Besides, the Nixie watch case opens by unscrewing the front, much like you have to unscrew the lid on a jar of jelly to get at the contents. It's not hard to do, and can be done without removing the watch from your wrist as the Accutron requires.

And how often do you have to set the time? Every time you get on an airplane and fly to another time zone. It gives you something to do on the long, boring flight, and it makes the other passengers nervous, which is always a good thing.

The battery can be replaced with NO TOOLS. How many other watches can make this claim? Even the Accutron requires a coin to open the battery door.

* Fits standard watch bands
20mm is a standard watch band, but it is very narrow compared to the
watch case (this is not just my own opinion). It is just as easy to
buy 22 or 24 mm bands, and there are many stylish 26mm bands as well.

Yeah, I could have put wider lugs in there. Many people have commented on that. I was concerned that the watch was too long from lug to lug, and wider lugs would have made it not fit on small wrists. It barely fits on my wrist. So it's a tradeoff. Besides, the strap width doesn't matter. It's only aesthetic.

* Looks like a wristwatch in the details
It truly is very large for a wrist watch. I mean, the U-boat series
watches are known to be very large in size and as far as I know they
don't go beyond 53mm dials, and mainly use a more common 50mm dial.

Yes, but it's shaped like a wristwatch. The lugs have the same look as typical wristwatch lugs. The case has a radius on the rear. Details like that make it much more comfortable than the other Nixie watches you'll see if you look around.

* Some amount of water resistance
This one I don't really understand because your design is somewhat
perfect for a waterproof watch up to at least 10 meters, so why do you
say it only has some water resistance?

I'm an electrical engineer, not a watchmaker. Mass-producing a product that doesn't fill with water when submerged is MUCH more difficult than making it so that it won't malfunction if it gets a few raindrops on it. Try it some time. There are a lot of tricks involved that I'm not privy to.

Michel

--
David Forbes, Tucson AZ