As an empyre moderator I can assure everyone it isn't disappearing. During
August it has been on holiday. At the start of ISEA and the Istanbul Biennale
it will be spluttering back into life on the theme of festivals and
gloablisation, moderated by Tim Murray and Renate Ferro.

However, list serves aren't as well populated and dynamic as they once were. To
a large extent they have been displaced by social media like Twitter and
Facebook. On one level that's not a problem. On another it is. Unlike other
platforms the list serve facilitates thoughtful posts rather than throw away
one liners. In a way the more popular and accessible social media platforms
(like Facebook) are to internet discourse what iPads and Androids are to
computing - promoting a more mediated and distanced engagement. This is part of
the normalisation and commodification of the net.

best

Simon

Simon Biggs | si...@littlepig.org.uk | www.littlepig.org.uk

s.bi...@ed.ac.uk | Edinburgh College of Art | University of Edinburgh