Ah Grasshopper,

As for the Windose HD unplug the power but not the ribbon, you want the
bios to see it.

First of all, start the machine, after the first screen you will see press
del to enter setup, hit del, after the boot has stopped and you are in the
setup click on bios features setup. change the boot sequence from A:, C:,
to cdrom first. hit esc, F10, and Y. With the 5.3 cdrom in the drive
restart the machine with cdrom boot. (after the install don't forget to
change it back)
You will see the process start, follow the prompts, and when you get to it
choose "install" & "workstation" and when the screen comes up with
skipdrive choose that, it will next say that all existing  will be lost,
"ok" and you should get a automatic install. I chose a generic mouse and
monitor, if you see yours you may choose it. All should be complete in
about 15 min. After the prompt to change the boot back to a-c, and make a
boot disk. This way the two drives will not see each other. If you don't
make a boot disk at each time that you install, the linux boot "lilo" will
take over and you can't see the Win. hd. After the installation is
complete and you logon to linux as root and use the password that you
chose during the install. you should get to the root prompt. type startx
and the KDE will take over. Use logout to get back to the root "c" prompt
type halt to stop the run or hit the Ctrl,Alt,Del keys. this will take it
down, but it will restart.

With Mandrake 5.3 you are running Red Hat 5.2 and the KDE desktop.
Mandrake is not a linux version like Red hat, but a install disk modified
for easy installation and a excellent chance for KDE to work with out
further.

Did you only purchase the cdrom or did you buy the license version of
Mandrake? You can purchase the Red hat 5.2 book at Cheep bytes for about
$16.00, a good buy.

Try that and don't forget to come back for your help.

John

--
John R. Wilkerson
1442 B-1 New Castle