I just attempted to upgrade my kernel according to the official guidelines
on the web site, but it didn't work. I did everything on the list, putting
in the kernel and kernel headers and upgrading all the packages. I used
rpm -ivh for the kernel and headers, and rpm -U for all the others. I ran
mouseconfig, updated /etc/lilo.conf. I ran lilo. I tried to reboot. As the
machine turned off it checked through the programs it was turning off. The
only thing with a problem was APM, it said no APM support in kernel. When I
tried to reboot the lilo prompt worked and the system got as far as "Finding
module dependencies". It just hung at this line. [It also repeated before
this the error involving APM.] I can boot using a boot disk from the
previous 2.0.36 kernel, but then I have no internet access ( and probably
other problems). I never compiled my kernel in the first place - could this
be my problem, and can I fix it now? Please help! I am truly a newbie, but I
can follow simple instructions. Thanks, Tom