Tom Houghton wrote:

> I just attempted to upgrade my kernel according to the official guidelines
> on the web site, but it didn't work. I did everything on the list, putting
> in the kernel and kernel headers and upgrading all the packages. I used
> rpm -ivh for the kernel and headers, and rpm -U for all the others. I ran
> mouseconfig, updated /etc/lilo.conf. I ran lilo. I tried to reboot. As the
> machine turned off it checked through the programs it was turning off. The
> only thing with a problem was APM, it said no APM support in kernel. When I
> tried to reboot the lilo prompt worked and the system got as far as "Finding
> module dependencies". It just hung at this line. [It also repeated before
> this the error involving APM.] I can boot using a boot disk from the
> previous 2.0.36 kernel, but then I have no internet access ( and probably
> other problems). I never compiled my kernel in the first place - could this
> be my problem, and can I fix it now? Please help! I am truly a newbie, but I
> can follow simple instructions. Thanks, Tom

cd /lib/modules
rm preferred
ln -s <new-kernel-number> preferred

reboot w/ LILO

I'm not sure what directory the kernel package installs it's modules
into, but it should be blatantly obvious from looking in the
/lib/modules directory.  Use that name for the <new-kernel-number> part
above.

TO MANDRAKE PEOPLE:
This hasn't been added to the installation instructions yet?  There are
no online archives of Mandrake mailing lists?  It's getting extremely
tedious answering this question over and over and over...

--
Steve Philp
[EMAIL PROTECTED]