> Steve Philp wrote:
> >
> > Tom Houghton wrote:
> > >
> > > I just attempted to upgrade my kernel according to the
> official guidelines
> > > on the web site, but it didn't work. I did everything on the
> list, putting
> > > in the kernel and kernel headers and upgrading all the
> packages. I used
> > > rpm -ivh for the kernel and headers, and rpm -U for all the
> others. I ran
> > > mouseconfig, updated /etc/lilo.conf. I ran lilo. I tried to
> reboot. As the
> > > machine turned off it checked through the programs it was
> turning off. The
> > > only thing with a problem was APM, it said no APM support in
> kernel. When I
> > > tried to reboot the lilo prompt worked and the system got as
> far as "Finding
> > > module dependencies". It just hung at this line. [It also
> repeated before
> > > this the error involving APM.] I can boot using a boot disk from the
> > > previous 2.0.36 kernel, but then I have no internet access

> and probably
> > > other problems). I never compiled my kernel in the first
> place - could this
> > > be my problem, and can I fix it now? Please help! I am truly
> a newbie, but I
> > > can follow simple instructions. Thanks, Tom
> >
> > cd /lib/modules
> > rm preferred
> > ln -s <new-kernel-number> preferred
>
> hi,
>
> this shouldn't be needed anymore with our latest 2.2.3-ac4 RPMS. It's
> why I have removed this instruction from
> http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/kernel2.2-upgrade.html

Hi,

Huh? Are u saying that we no longer need to recompile? Just rpm the thing
in(sounds far fetch)? We need to know what the rpm thing is doing.......
What exactly does it mean?(it isn't clear from the above URL too).

I'm pretty sure u have to still do the make routine. (I'm going to try the
2.2.3 rpms tonight and see what happens).

Lionel