I've been reading with interest the posts about upgrading your kernel.  I'm
interested mainly because of the NTFS support (I'm dual boot between Mandrake
& NT and I wanna mount my NTFS partition), but while I've been reading up on
the kernel (specifically http://linuxtoday.com/stories/296.html) I discovered
that "Linux 2.2 will be the first  stable Linux to support options for the
various non-Intel processors in the kernel configuration tool."  My computer
has an AMD K6-2 processor.  Does this mean that the new kernel will work
better with my processor than the 2.0 that is included with Mandrake?

Another question I have regards the kernel update posted on Mandrake's page:
http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/kernel2.2-upgrade.html.  On that page, it looks
like they're saying you can just install these RPMs, setup LILO, pull a reboot,
and off you go!  However, one recent post by Steve Philip talked about needing
to update symbolic links (I guess that's what's going on).  Then there was a
response that no, this isn't necessary.  Which is it?  Also, does this really
mean that you can upgrade without compiling the kernel?

Thanks in advance for your answers,
Matt