> I don't know about that "special driver" you mention.  It sounds like a
> problem with your motherboard (or IDE controller not recognizing 2 disks).
> If that's so, then what I'm about to say won't help, and may even hurt
> (you'd have to re-format the MBR and put that "special driver" on again).

Both disks are recognized, but DOS can't seem to handle the second disk
without the driver.  Maybe it has some optimized low-level format.  I
saw an improved format command that managed to fit maybe two megabytes
on a 1.44MB floppy, but special DOS-only drivers were needed for DOS to
understand them.  Windows, on the other hand, will modify any disk put
in a drive that doesn't already support long file names.  The two don't
mix!

> /etc/lilo.conf is the config file for lilo.  When you run /sbin/lilo, it
> will read this config file (or another if you use the -C option).

I know.  And then it will reconfigure a boot sector to conform with the
options.

> *****/etc/lilo.conf (on my machine):
>
> boot=/dev/hda           #tells where to put LILO (in the MBA of
>                         #the first IDE drive)

I'll do that.

> map=/boot/map           #Specifies location of map file
> install=/boot/boot.b    #Which file to install in boot sector?
> prompt                  #Tells LILO to prompt before booting
> timeout=50              #Wait 50 tenths of a second before going to
>                         #default selection
> image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.9-19mdk #Kernel image to load
>         label=linux             #What you type at the lilo prompt
>         root=/dev/hda1          #Which file system is / (root)

If I don't swap my master and slave disks, then I'll have to change this
to be /dev/hdb5.

I first formatted this disk to have two partitions.  Obviously it made
the second one an extended partition.  What's the difference between an
extended partition and the other kind?  The kind that would be called
hdb2?

>         read-only               #Mount the root fs as read-only (in case
>                                 #it has errors)
>
> Instead of an "image=..." entry for Linux kernels, you need an
> "other=..." entry for another OS.  You need to add an entry like this (at
> the bottom of the file):
> other=/dev/hda2         #Which partition's boot sector do I load?

/dev/hda1, unless I change.

>         label=dos       #What you type at the lilo prompt
>         table=/dev/hda  #Pass this partition table table to the other OS

What does that last line mean?