It sounds like it is your video card.  Try running Xconfigurator, XF86Setup.
Just type one of the two names at the prompt.  These should help you to get
it working.  After that, you may need to fine tune them.  Use xvidtune.
Hope this helps.  I am a newbie to Linux and had to mess around with it for
a while to get it working.  You may want to try looking on the web about X
servers.  Try the Xfree86 site.  Mostly, just try to read as much info as
possible.  Eventually, you may need to edit the XF86Config file and delete
and add things to get them working.  You may want to write back to the board
with your video card and monitor, so someone who has it may be able to help.
Good luck.

        Bret Craw
        e p i c o r
        Maintenance Renewal Representative