On Fri, 5 Jul 2002 22:57:49 -0400, "D. Olson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Friday 05 July 2002 09:27 pm, you wrote:
> > On Friday 05 July 2002 02:55 pm, D. Olson did speak unto the huddled
> > masses,
> >
> > saying:
> > > It's working? 30% of the Windows framerate is not what I call "working."
> > > 5 out of 70 games is not what I call "working." Locking up systems is not
> >
> > maybe you should look into your setup?  i mean ymmv, but i have 9 of 10
> > working and most better than they did in win2k.......
>

> How's about some benchmarks then? I'd like to see which games you are
> running, as well as the fps, if you can get it (some don't let you).
>

> Here's one of mine:
>
> Alice
> =====
> WineX - 24 fps (tops)
> Windows - 70+ fps
>

> For more benchmarks, go and look at these (yes, they're from Tom's
> Hardware...):
>
> http://www6.tomshardware.com/howto/02q2/020531/images/image001.gif
> http://www6.tomshardware.com/howto/02q2/020531/images/image002.gif
> http://www6.tomshardware.com/howto/02q2/020531/images/image003.gif
> http://www6.tomshardware.com/howto/02q2/020531/images/image004.gif
> http://www6.tomshardware.com/howto/02q2/020531/images/image005.gif
> http://www6.tomshardware.com/howto/02q2/020531/images/image006.gif
>

> Oh, and by the way, if you can't install a game like Baldur's Gate 2, why
> does it get a rating of 4/5? That's pretty dumb. And yes, I got it to
> actually run ONCE. It installed fine. Then I tested it again after a fresh
> install of Mandrake 8.2, and whammo. Doesn't work now, and it starts asking
> me for mythical CDs... Yes, I'd give THAT a 4 out of 5 rating...

Yes, games tend to be slower in WineX than in Windows. It should be remembered,
though, that Winex is a relatively new product. WINE may have been around for a
long time, but WineX's extensions are very new. DirectX is closed source, and so
WineX is the work of reverse-engineering, which is very difficult to achieve.
I'm sure that it will get better in the future.

As WineX develops, Transgaming will be able to make more deals and partnerships
with other games companies to make their games compatible with WineX. Some deals
have already been made, like the agreement with EA to make a GNU/Linux version
of 'The Sims'. In the future, games will be compatible with both Windows and
WineX out of the box, with no special GNU/Linux-only modifications.

I do, however, share your concerns that WineX may kill the native GNU/Linux
gaming industry. OS/2 once advertised itself as "A better Windows than Windows",
in reference to its Win16 and Win32 compatibility. Developers took advantage of
that by making applications in Win16/32 so that they would run in both Windows
and OS/2, thereby killing the market for native OS/2 apps. The GNU/Linux market
is too small to sustain a commercial gaming market. Even Loki, which simply
ported games from Windows to GNU/Linux instead of making their own, couldn't
stay in business. IMHO, the best solution is to adopt the model used in Quake
2/3: use open standards to ensure that a game works in other OSs with little
modification. In Quake's case, all that is required to make the game run work in
GNU/Linux is to change a few megabytes of binaries. Environments like OpenGL and
SDL are designed to do just that.

--
Sridhar Dhanapalan

"... I will claim that nobody else "designed" Linux any more than I did, and I
doubt I'll have many people disagreeing. It grew. It grew with a lot of
mutations - and because the mutations were less than random, they were faster
and more directed than alpha-particles in DNA." -- Linus Torvalds