On Tuesday July 16 2002 07:25 am, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Tuesday 16 Jul 2002 12:23 pm, you wrote:
> > let me jump in and say this sounds to me like "named" is
> > mis-configured and her DNS is looking for the file on the internet,
> > as long as killing jabber did not cure it.
> > can you go to the "K" menu, > Applications, > Monitoring, > Process
> > managment, highlight ( By clicking on) any process called "named" >
> > then on the top menu, Signal, > Kill. do this until all processes
> > called named are gone. and let me know. there are a few services
> > that when not properly configured can search all over before
> > looking on the hard drive of your computer for some thing, and
> > named is one of them.

> there a way? Perhaps from the SuperUser file manager?
>
> Anne

   Well if I understand the problem....  su to root in a term and type
'ps -aux |grep named'.  That'll return the pid(s) of any running
'named' process(es), and who owns them, besides some other info.  You
can then kill with 'kill -9 <pid>.  Ignore the return that looks
something like,
root   24920  0.0  0.1  1664  588 pts/2    S    11:13   0:00 grep named
That's just the grep process you just ran.