On Sun, 22 Sep 2002 09:37:15 -0500
Tom Brinkman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>    For more on the AMD/AGP issue see,
> http://www.geocrawler.com/lists/3/Linux/35/175/7626960/
>    Note: "There *is* an Athlon/AGP issue.  This issue has
> *not* been tied to a bug with the Athlon/Duron processors."
>     ...and...
> "Our conclusion is that the operating system is creating coherency
> problems within the system by creating cacheable translation to AGP
> GART-mapped physical memory."

This is the same AGP 'bug' for which AMD issued a Win2k patch and this
'bug' exists in the
Linux 2.4 kernel series unless the kernel has been built for Athlon
optimization.
I may be be mistaken but do you not build your kernel, Tom?

At any rate there are numerous threads on the kernel mailing list
regarding this issue when AGP is used and the always recommended
solution is to use mem=nopentium.

In support of my position see:

http://www.kickassgear.com/athlon-linux%20bug.htm

If others are desired just do a google-linux search for mem=nopentium.

I currently use mem=nopentium on my systems and can confirm that without
this option random X lock-ups will occur if using the Nvidia driver, and
on systems with the ATI Rage128 using either the ati or r128 driver if
DRI is used.

Even should men=nopentium be only a placebo I'll still take my medicine.

    Charles

We don't smoke and we don't chew, and we don't go with girls that do.
                -- Walter Summers
Charles A Edwards
[EMAIL PROTECTED]