Tom Brinkman wrote:

>On Sunday September 22 2002 05:16 am, Anne Wilson wrote:
>
>>On Thursday 19 Sep 2002 8:56 pm, you wrote:

>>>lilo append mem=nopentium
>>>
>>Charles, could you tell me more about this?  Is this something that
>>all of us using Athlons/Durons should be using?  Obviously this is
>>there to avoid specific problems, what are they?
>>

>    Altho all chipsets and processors have bugs (errata), any
>manufacturer, AMD, Intel, Cyrix, SiS, VIA, etc., the best way to avoid
>Athlon or Duron problems is to _only_ use motherboards and power
>supplies that are recommended by AMD
>http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_869_4348,00.html
>
>    That link is for XP's, but there's similar links for Tbirds and
>Durons. I suspect Marcia's problem probly starts with the PSU and/or
>motherboard. Ram quality is another likely culprit. Ram performance and
>reliability is greatly affected by the quality of the mobo and PSU tho.
>So even very good ram mght have problems on a marginal mobo/PSU.
>'Course overheating is always a suspect.
>
>    FWIW, I've had a 1.4 Tbird oc'd to 1.55 with an AMD approved mobo
>and PSU for over a year an a half. Never used the nopentium option,
>never had any problems. GeF2 w/64mb's usin the open source XFree86
>driver. The nopentium parameter is to limit the page size requests from
>system ram for the AGP card.  If the video card has 16mb ram or more
>onboard, the system ram probly will never, or rarely be used anyhow.
>If system ram is being used by the Vcard, and causing problems, one
>quick and dirty way fix is to set the AGP aperature in bios to 4mb.
>Drawback is that it effectively disables AGP sidebanding and will
>somewhat decrease 3d/accel performance.
>
>   For more on the AMD/AGP issue see,
>http://www.geocrawler.com/lists/3/Linux/35/175/7626960/
>   Note: "There *is* an Athlon/AGP issue.  This issue has
>*not* been tied to a bug with the Athlon/Duron processors."
>    ...and...
>"Our conclusion is that the operating system is creating coherency
>problems within the system by creating cacheable translation to AGP
>GART-mapped physical memory."
>
>   IMO, another suspect is closed source proprietary drivers. As I said,
>even on a highly oc'd, hot system, I've not had any problems without
>nopentium usin the openXFree86-4.2.1 source driver which BTW, now
>provides some 3d/accel support for nvidia cards. XFree86-4.2.1 included
>with Mdk 9.0.

>Go to http://www.mandrakestore.com

Dear All,

I have been following this thread since the mem=nopentium did not
completely solve my problem afterall.  I went to the ftp site with the
fix and downloaded it. Actually I could not download it from the main
site and had to search for a mirror for it. Anyway it downloaded a
textfile. I am just a newbie with no programming skills, so I have no
idea what to do with it. I would love to fix this instability problem as
soon as possible. Could anyone help me with this? Thanks for all of the
help. It is too bad that there is such a problem between Linux and amd.
Will this be resolved with mandrake 9?

Sincerely,

Marcia