Dear Tom

Tom Brinkman wrote:

>>Since the 'nopentium' bandaid didn't fix it, let's start again
>>Marcia. List the hardware involved, particularly mobo, psu, video, and
>>what Mandrake version, which video drivers are used.  Ram vendor, if
>>you know?  IIRC, it's Mdk 8.2, with an ECS mobo. Got the model/
>>revision/bios vendor and numbers?

The link for my board is http://www.ecsusa.com/ and my motherboard is
the L7VMM. I disabled the onboard lan because even though it worked it
was grabbing the same irq as sound. The company sent me a new lan card
which helped that it seems. This is an Athlon 1600+ XP with 512MB PC2100
DDR, 266 MHZ SDRAM, I had the cooler master added plus an extra case
fan. This is a brand new machine. I have Win95 as a dual boot and Win
does not have the problems that my Linux side has. Most of the specs are
on the link page.

>> A link to their website for the
>>board would be best, and we can try an' figure it all out together.  As
>>you only mentioned 'onboard video', which? ...how much system ram does
>>it use? If it's a ready made system, from who ? What was the original
>>installed OS ?
>>
>>   Also, while we're at it, what does
>>cat /proc/interrupts

 cat /proc/interrupts
           CPU0
  0:     246531          XT-PIC  timer
  1:       3298          XT-PIC  keyboard
  2:          0          XT-PIC  cascade
  5:      17745          XT-PIC  eth0
  8:          1          XT-PIC  rtc
  9:       7262          XT-PIC  viaudio
 11:        154          XT-PIC  usb-uhci, usb-uhci
 12:      87498          XT-PIC  PS/2 Mouse
 14:      53126          XT-PIC  ide0
 15:          4          XT-PIC  ide1
NMI:          0
LOC:          0
ERR:          0
MIS:          0

>>   ...and
>>lspcidrake

lspcidrake
unknown         : VIA Technologies Inc|CPU-to-PCI Bridge
unknown         : VIA Technologies|VT8633 [Apollo Pro266 AGP]
tulip           : ADMtek|ADM983 Linksys EtherFast 10/100
Bad:www.linmodems.org: Lucent Microelectronics|56k WinModem
unknown         : VIA Technologies Inc|VT8233 PCI to ISA Bridge
unknown         : VIA Technologies|VT82C586 IDE [Apollo]
usb-uhci        : VIA Technologies|VT82C586B USB
usb-uhci        : VIA Technologies|VT82C586B USB
unknown         : VIA Technologies|VT8233 [AC97 Audio Controller]
unknown         : unknown (5333/8d04/ffff/ffff)
unknown         : Virtual|Hub []
unknown         : Virtual|Hub []
scanner         : Hewlett-Packard|ScanJet 4300C []
unknown         : Hewlett-Packard|DeskJet 940C
[Printer|Printer|Bidirectional]

>>              ...and
>>lspci

lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc.: Unknown device 3116
00:01.0 PCI bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8633 [Apollo Pro266 AGP]
00:09.0 Ethernet controller: Linksys Network Everywhere Fast Ethernet
10/100 model NC100 (rev 11)
00:0a.0 Communication controller: Lucent Microelectronics 56k WinModem
(rev 01)
00:11.0 ISA bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc.: Unknown device 3147
00:11.1 IDE interface: VIA Technologies, Inc. Bus Master IDE (rev 06)
00:11.2 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. UHCI USB (rev 23)
00:11.3 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. UHCI USB (rev 23)
00:11.5 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. AC97 Audio
Controller (rev 40)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: S3 Inc.: Unknown device 8d04

>>                    say?
>>
>>   FWIW, your problem may not be video related at all, but hardware and/
>>or configuration in general. So, in the meantime, try takin the case
>>cover off and point a table fan into it directed towards the cpu-hs/fan
>>and the mobo's chipset. Does that reduce or eliminate the problem? It
>>would help a lot if you have lm_sensors/gkrellm installed and report
>>some temps under load. Another good report would be if you can run
>>memtest86 overnite without errors (there's an rpm for it on your CD's).
>>I'll warn you upfront tho, it's a hard, often lengthly process for
>>anybody to diagnose hardware problems 'over the phone'  (ie, not hands
>>on).

There is a temperature and performance utility in the bios.  What are
lm_sensors/gkrellm? I would gladly install this if needed.

Thanks for your help here. I really appreciate your input. Thanks alot.

Sincerely,

Marcia