Joe,

I wouldn't use 'fdisk' of any kind to create an XP partition fro your
installation.

Use your 'fdisk' to clean-up what you have done so that you are back to just
the Linux installation. Load your XP Pro CD and shutdown the computer. Boot
back up, let the installation program begin.

What should happen is that you will be brought to the partitioning screen
that shows you the 'foreign' Linux partition as well as free space that has
not been partitioned as yet. I have found that with XP Pro, as long as you
are not using the whole drive as one partition, it will give you the options
of NTFS, HPFS, or FAT32. At this point, you highlight the unpartitioned
volume and pick the FAT32 format.

If you cannot get to this point (you did mention something about corruption
noted in MDK?), you may have screwed up your FAT and lilo to the point where
you are now in deep 'do-do'. If reloading lilo, and doing what I just
suggested doesn't work, you need to get try to back-up your /home directory
with the intention of wiping and starting over.

If you do wipe everything out and start over, let me tell you what I just
did as of last night (I have a 40 GB hard drive):

1) Wipe all the partitions out. Since Linux is already on the drive, use
MDK's fdisk to wipe all partitions. Do not use MS-DOS/Win fdisk for removing
the Linux partitions!

2) Once you have written to disk from fdisk, shut the computer off. This is
very important!

3) Boot the computer to an Win 98 boot floppy disk that has 'fdisk' on it.
Type this command at the DOS prompt:

fdisk /mbr

4) Load your CD-ROM with XP Pro.

5) Shutdown the computer once more. This is again, very important. You must
clear all the memory registers before starting over.

6) When you get to the screen that shows your completely pristine hard drive
in its wonderfully unadulterated splendor, highlight it and press "C" to
create a new partition.

7) Decide on the capacity that you want to give XP Pro, and how much you
want to leave for MDK. In my case, I gave 30 GBs to XP Pro since I know that
I will need the room and must have operating space there, as well. That left
me with 8 GBs of space for MDK 9.0 (enough for me, at this time.)

8) Because you did NOT use the whole hard drive, you will be asked what
format you want for this partition. If you really want to FAT32, pick it,
and I would strongly recommend that you do NOT take the "Quick" option. Hard
drives fail over time, and new ones are not always virgins. It's a fact of
life. The extra time you take now to insure your drive is fully usable saves
potential headaches later. :-)

9) Once you have completely installed XP Pro, remove your CD and replace it
with your MDK 9.0 CD #1. With respect for your time in this, I recommend not
properly working. If something goes wrong with your Linux installation and
you have to start over, it's best not to worry about time wasted on loaded
programs and frills right now.

10) Do a complete and correct shutdown from XP Pro.

11) Start up, and allow MDK's boot from the CD #1. Follow instructions as
you normally would. I would pick Expert/Install.

12) When you get to the screen that asks you how you want to partition your
Linux system, click with your mouse on the area that has NOT been partition
as yet. Then click on Auto Allocation button. Decide whether you have the
room and care over having a separate partition for /usr, or just for /home
(simple).

13) Complete your installation to your heart's content!

This is how it worked for me. So flawlessly  that I was pretty much ready to
genuflect and kiss the penguin's ring. Everything works great, too, in both
O/S's. They are playing so well together, I almost want to cry! The only
thing that I have yet to change is the timing in lilo upon boot-up. I want
lilo to sit there and wait for me to select the O/S I want, not pick one
after so many seconds.

I hope this helped. Sorry if anything was already very obvious to you. I
figured it best to err on the side of caution. Good luck on whatever you
decide to do.