From: "Charlie" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, November 06, 2002 11:53 AM
Subject: Re: [newbie] Fwd: Dual Boot?

On Wednesday 06 November 2002 03:58 am, QingHua Wang wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> Can you explain in detail about what you do for the dual booting? I am
> struggling with this problem. I have asked about it but the answer is to
> find some disk tools such as PatitionMagic to make a partition for Linux
> from the predefined NTFS partition(WinXP). However, PartitionMagic is not
> free program. So can I share your experiences with this problem? Thanks in
> advance.
>
> Wishes,
>
> QingHua.

QingHua;

Is there a reason you can't just totally start from scratch and build the
partitions you need for XP and just leave a portion of the drive for
Mandrake
unformatted or formatted for FAT 32? That would make it easy to use
diskdrake
to do the chore afterward.

For utilities to do the deed from predefined NTFS; pick one. The utilities
you'll find at this link all seem to have either a "demo" or shareware
version that you can try to resize the NTFS partition(s) on your drive
without additional cost. All down-loadable I believe. I haven't used
anything
other than Ranish for this for many moons and choose not to work on
pre-installed Windows XP machines if I can possibly avoid it.

http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_description/0,fid,6170,00.asp

Does anyone else find it strange that Microsoft juggles the file system
format
just enough to kill the possibility of using built in _free software_; thus
forcing one to pay good money to try something other than their operating
system? Forcing people to "upgrade" to their "latest and greatest."

Talk about getting you coming and going or what? Good luck!

Regards;
--
Charlie
Edmonton,AB,Canada