On Thu, 2003-01-02 at 10:43, A. Contreras wrote:
> I have a win2k machine that triple-boots (win2k, win98 and Linux 9.0). Since
> most of my work so far has been devoted to getting all my work done in win2k
> (I know, let's not go there), I have been quite happy with the booting
> arrangement.
>
> I know want to be able to call the Windows OSs on demand, and stay in Linux
> primarily (in part because my backend database is Oracle and I don't have
> all my ducks in a row to migrate the data, and also because I'm a glutton
> for punishment).
>
> The question is, has anyone had any luck in getting VMware to work on the
> 9.0 platfor, and been able to configure the raw diskspace right? I can't
> seem to get the bloody thing to work; shouldn't be surprised, using VMware
> on a "new" OS and ask for it to handle a preexisting NTFS diskspace right.
>
> I'm also having issues problems installing either 9.0 or 8.2 on an older
> system (AMD k6 200, DFI motherboard), I get (mainly):
>
> an err=1, invalid compression format (IIRC) with 9.0.
>
> And with 8.2 the installer actually gets started but I get an error
> recognizing the disk partitions (IBM DTTA 351010) at the time of creating
> the partitions. I've just low level formatted the drive, formated it agains
> with fdisk and installed dos 6.22 (imagine that).
>
> Ah, fresh news even as I type, now I get a different error installing 8.2...
> Error in Exec of stage 2 FATAL ERROR IN STAGE1: not a directory. Starting to
> question the CDROM drive...
>
> Help and ideas most welcome!
>
> A. Contreras
> My C&R website:
> http://www.elnonio.dns04.com

I run VMWare exclusively for my XP/Win98 (and others). If you want to
carry this offlist I can give you heaps more information. There are
several processes that you're going to want to get straight prior to
doing a VMWare installation, but I shan't bore y'all with that
stuff...(and no, VMWare ain't payin me)

--
Sat Jan  4 07:00:00 EST 2003
  7:00am  up 3 days, 13:29,  3 users,  load average: 0.54, 0.28, 0.31

kuhn media australia - kma.0catch.com
stephen kuhn - katherine kuhn - berkeley, nsw, au
email: [EMAIL PROTECTED] - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
icq: 5483808 - mobile: 0410-728-389
-PC/Mac/Linux/Consulting/eMarketing-
 * linux user: 267497 * rh 7.3+ *
I have the simplest tastes.  I am always satisfied with the best.
                -- Oscar Wilde