On Thursday 02 Jan 2003 9:57 pm, erylon hines wrote:
> On Thursday 02 January 2003 12:44 pm, you wrote:
> > My installation is also from the discs and uninstalling and
> > re-installing didn't work for me.
> > Mozilla and Galeon crash when encountering applets;
> > Konqueror doesn't crash, but the applet freezes when it's 29% loaded;
> > Netscape still refuses to even acknowledge that java is loaded.
> >
> > Where to next??
> >
> > Rich
>
> There is a fairly high probablility that you have two java's installed, and
> a bad link to the *.so going (or, maybe no link at all).  Note that this
> must be a link to the javaplugin_oji.so, copying the *.so to the
> /usr/lib/netscape/plugins directory will NOT work--same for mozilla.
>
> Mozilla>Help>About plug-ins  shows the java that you have installed??
> (should be the Sun version)
>
> #java -version      returns what?  (Kaffee should be o.k., but you can
> uninstall it using the package manager and re-make your path to the Sun
> version as a last resort--since this is only for web browsers that
> shouldn't be necessary).  I'm trying to determine just what mods the rpm
> installer made to your directories and links.

For me, java -version returns nothing at all.  I think that the rpm install
has put things in the wrong places for me, and caused problems by it.  I am
going to uninstall altogether and start again, making sure that I know where
everything is going this time.  I do *not* want any of it installed on my old
8_2 partitions.

Anne