On Thursday 02 Jan 2003 2:47 pm, Tom Brinkman wrote:
> On Wednesday January 1 2003 01:25 pm, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > Looking again at what you wrote originally, I get the same output
> > as you for the command
> >
> > ll /usr/bin/java
>
>     Including rwx permissions for users (lrwxrwxrwx) ?
> .
Yes - it's all OK                                          ^^^

> > However, it looks to me as though it has not been added to the
> > path, since what I get from the next command is:
> >
> > [root@anne-linux anne]# echo $PATH
> > /sbin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/lo
> >cal/sbin [root@anne-linux anne]#
>
>       Mea culpa. When I first replied I had Mandrake's j2re 1.4.0
> installed, and that rpm does add jre to your path.  Since then I've
> upgraded to Mandrake's j2re 1.4.1. It _doesn't_ add jre to the path.
> (MOF, the upgrade removed it from mine).

and this removed it from mine - and the java.sh from /etc/profile.d

> It shouldn't matter tho since it does create the link '/usr/bin/java
> -> /etc/alternatives/java*' and '/usr/bin' should be in your path.
> BTW, run 'echo $PATH' as user, since you'll need java as user.

[anne@anne-linux anne]$ echo $PATH
/usr//bin:/bin:/usr/bin::/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/games:/home/anne/bin
[anne@anne-linux anne]$

Why are there two // in /usr//bin?  Does /usr/bin include all subdirectories?

>     I suspect the problem is with your Mozilla install. Tho I have no
> idea what is maybe wrong (and I'm now usin the newer 9.1 cooker
> version 1.3-0.alpha.1mdk).

It's the standard install from 9.0's discs.  I don't feel confident at using
cooker versions yet.  I could uninstall and re-install I suppose.

I think the next thing to try is to check for suitable links in the Mozilla
directory.

Any other ideas gratefully welcomed.

Anne