On January 6, 2003 06:55 am, Robin Turner wrote:
<snip>

> If people remember to put "OT" in the header, yes.  However, I'm not
> sure how you do it client-side to prevent the message from being
> downloaded in the first place, which is the real problem for people with
> low (and maybe expensive) bandwidth.

If the OT gets too frequent; as it sometimes does on one of the lists I'm
subscribed to, I just activate an "OT pop filter" in K-Mail and it never
leaves the mail server. Usually (once a week or thereabouts) I'll use the
ISP's web-mail interface and delete the 'download later' messages after
browsing through them for any interesting tidbits.

> > I do not want to be a nuisance to others, but nor should they be a
> > nuisance to me.

I'd never characterize Anne as any sort of nuisance. The occasional OT on this
list is nearly always fun; at least until some "list Nazi" gets a "wild hair
across his arse."

> Quite.  I don't mind people requesting that a discussion should be
> continued elsewhere, but they should be polite about it, especially when
>   some of the participants have "paid their dues" on this list enough to
> be allowed to indulge in a little silliness on occasion.

Total agreement.

> If I recall rightly, the whole thing started with a question about KDE
> or GNOME - that is one subject we should definitely ban ;-)

That was one. Another was a (sort of) reference to a tag at the end of a post
mentioning that I was going to see Star Trek Nemesis on opening night. I
dropped the subject in deference to others that hadn't seen it yet, but
wanted to, so I wouldn't spoil it for them.

I didn't think much of the movie BTW. I'm glad it wasn't my money that paid
admission for it. <g>

> Sir Robin

Regards;
--