Anne Wilson wrote:
On Thursday 09 Jan 2003 8:58 am, Hylton Conacher (ZR1HPC) wrote:

Wouldn't that be nice if the POP mail system could do that! In my
experience, using Netscape and Mozilla mail, I either download all the
messages from the ISP or none.

Are you sure it doesn't? I'm sure I used just that to get rid of spam from a certain address, and mine is a pop account. I'm using KMail, and I'm sure it was simple to activate there.

AFAIK, Mozilla does not allow server-side mail filtering - the only options are to download everything, or only messages under a certain size (not very useful for spam filtering, since the problem is lot's of little messages, not one or two big ones). On the positive side, Mozilla/Netscape allows you the option of leaving messages on the server but having them deleted there when they are deleted locally - very useful when you're logging on from different computers.

The radical solution is to install filtering software on your server account, but most ISPs won't allow that, I suppose. Some webmail providers allow you to set filters from the webmail client. Another possibility is if your server allows telnet access, telnet in, look at your mail with something like pine, delete everything that looks uninteresting, then open the rest with your favourite mail client (I do this a lot to clean up my less used accounts - e.g. a cgi-bin account).

Sir Robin

--
"Do unto others what you would like others to do unto you. And have fun doing it."
- Linus Torvalds

Robin Turner
IDMYO,
Bilkent University